The House of Representatives will vote this week on The Student Success Act (H.R. 5) to reauthorize the Elementary and Secondary Education Act—No Child Left Behind (ESEA-NCLB). The time is now for Congress to hear your voice, Take Action!
Congress needs to hear that PTA supports:
- Safeguarding all family engagement provisions, modeled—in part—from the Family Engagement in Education Act.
- Adequate authorization levels to support critically important programs.
- The exclusion of any provision that would create or lead to a private school voucher, including Title I portability funding.
- Providing access to well-rounded education curricula for all students.
- Safeguarding and improving equity protections and dedicated funding streams for disadvantaged populations.
- Developing ambitious, yet appropriate, state-driven accountability systems with growth and performance goals to replace Adequate Yearly Progress.
- Guaranteeing that all students receive quality instruction from well-prepared teachers and pupil support personnel.
- Improving state longitudinal data systems and sharing of student data.